Originally, there was no station in Bognor Regis; instead the station was built in Woodgate in 1846. This was over three miles away from Bognor town centre, resulting in travellers walking the remaining distance to the town, except from the rich who used old fashioned taxis called flies.
The Woodgate station was closed in 1864 and was replaced by the Barnham to Bognor branch line which still remains today. Although the railway line remains, the original Bognor station has been replaced over the years due to damage from strong winds in 1897 and fire in 1899. The station that we see today was built in 1902 with the line becoming electrified in the 1930’s.
Bognor Railway Station Exterior - Copyright of Cartland (1979) Bygone Bognor - Picture 40
Picture 20 - Bognor Railway Station Interior - Copyright of Cartland (1979) Bygone Bognor - Picture 41