In 1932, Billy Butlin founded a recreational centre designed to entertain the people of Bognor Regis. According to the press at the time, it was the number one place to be! It was originally built near the seafront on the corner of Lennox Street. The following year, a zoo and fairground was added to the establishment. In 1958, after negotiation with the Council, Billy Butlin was given permission to move from the current site to a much larger one to build a holiday camp. On the 2nd July 1960, his vision became reality when Butlin’s Holiday Camp officially opened.
Butlin’s remains a popular holiday attraction today with 1000’s of visitors every year. It continues to expand with the addition of the Shore Line hotel in 2005. Butlin’s is considered one of Bognor Regis’ largest employing companies.
Bognor Regis Esplanade - Copyright of Alford (2002) The Paradise Rocks: A 1930's Childhood in Bognor and a Little Local History - Picture 70
Butlinland - Copyright of Alford (2002) The Paradise Rocks: A 1930's Childhood in Bognor and a Little Local History - Picture 105